I’m not the type of person that would evvvveeerrrr participate in a social media detox. I love social media! So, three weeks ago when I woke up to being locked out of my iPhone,… I was devastated! I instantly picked up my laptop and started searching for answers. My search quickly came to an end when my two year old woke up.
By the end of the day, I came to the conclusion that it would be days before I would have time to go to the apple store to get my phone fixed. After it finally sunk in that I was having an unplanned social media detox, thanks to apple, I quickly came to my senses and knew I had to just stick it out.
Here are 5 unexpected things I learned from my unplanned social media detox.
- Sleep was so much better!! I don’t know if it was because I wasn’t scrolling on insta before bed or that I knew no one was going to wake me up. Sleep was amazing!!!
- Mornings were smoother. I could hear birds chirping in the morning and it was a more peaceful start to the morning without my phone.
- Didn’t feel the weight of the world. With so much going on in politics, it was so nice and kinda scary not to know minute by minute political updates. Prior to this I didn’t realize politics were weighing me down.
- Didn’t care about what was going viral. I usually live for a new funny viral video, but during the detox, I didn’t miss it. I found it better to decompress in silence then watching a video.
- Time moved slower. The day went by slower and made me feel like I could get more done.
This detox has taught me that social media has become an interruption into my daily life. That I don’t need to rely on it so much, and that life moves just fine without social media.
Have you ever thought about taking a social media detox? Let me know in the comments.
Enjoyed this post? Please comment, share and subscribe.:)
I hope that sharing my experiences and sharing your experiences that we both grow to reach our full potential!
Photographer: @Mjfortphoto Marcus Fort